Before Your Appointment
- Hair should be clean & tangle free; wet & conditioned will save time but is not necessary.
- We strongly encourage all members of the household come in for head lice checks (required for our Uptown Scratch Guarantee).
- While we will make every attempt to make your child as comfortable as possible, s/he will be sitting for an extended period of time (1-2 hours or more). We encourage them to have a snack or meal before treatment and have their favorite book, toy, or video game handy.
During Your Appointment
Upon your arrival, we will give you an Uptown Scratch business card and pertinent paperwork for you to review and sign.
We will then perform a thorough check for head lice using water/conditioner and a new treatment comb (effectively removes nits, and is yours to keep).
If nits/lice are found, and treatment is requested, we will apply a liberal amount of treatment mousse (kills live lice quickly), section hair completely, and do a full manual comb out until each section of hair is lice & nit free. This is the safest and most effective method, and it utilizes all natural products.
The lice and nit removal process typically takes 1-2 hours per person, but may take longer, depending on the length of hair and the degree of infestation.
After the initial treatment, a follow up visit is necessary in 7-10 days for a quick re-treat (see services and fees page for details) and visual inspection to verify results. This follow up is required for the Uptown Scratch guarantee to be honored (please see our guarantee policy).
After Your Treatment
- Inform friends that your child had head lice and they should have their children checked.
- Inform the school nurse so a note/email can be sent home to parents in your child’s classroom.
- Carefully remove sheets, pillowcases, blankets, towels, and clothes (including jackets, hats, scarves, and bathrobes) used by each infested family member in the last two weeks and dry them on high heat for 30 minutes.
- Put stuffed animals, decorative pillows, and comforters in the dryer for 30 minutes on high heat, or set aside in a sealed bag for two weeks.
- Put all combs, brushes and hair accessories in a sealed bag or container and place in the freezer overnight.
- Carefully and thoroughly wipe down headphones and any other accessories used on or near the head (sports equipment, backpack straps); alternately, you may put them in the freezer for 24 hours, or place them in a sealed plastic bag for two weeks.
- Lightly vacuum/wipe down: mattresses, fabric headboards, carpets, rugs, car seats, backpack straps, couches, and chairs.
- Spray a mint or rosemary repellent on the hair every day before leaving the house. (Consider purchasing a bottle of Repel for Uptown Scratch at $12 each from us). This type of repellent is recommended before school or camp, and before sleep overs. Keep longer hair tied hair back (buns and braids are best).
- Be sure to remind your children to avoid head-to-head contact through hugs and selfies/sharing screens, sharing books, as these are the most common ways lice travel from head to head.
- Comb with your treatment comb every other day until your re-treat. Do this in the shower/tub on very wet and conditioned hair, combing in 4 different directions, to be on the lookout for any adult lice that may re-infest.
- After your re-check/re-treat: Comb with your treatment comb once per week (every Friday night/Saturday morning for example). Do this in the shower/tub on very wet and conditioned hair, combing in four different directions, to be on the lookout for any adult lice that may re-infest.